Monday, January 9, 2012

Mustache Pillow DIY

Good Monday to you!  I've been a little slow with the posts lately.   A year ago, Justin challenged me that if I was going to blog, I should commit to it.  I should post every day and give it my all.  I didn't really know what that would look like or where it would lead. 

My year is up and I'm trying to figure out where I want it to go from here.  I don't want to be blogging just to blog. I want a purpose behind it.  I want to be making a difference. I want to help people. I want to be able to use the gifts God has given me and share them....my problem is that I still don't know what that looks like. I never wanted to get too personal with my blog. I've never been a fan of putting our lives online for all to see...but it's hard not to sometimes.  So, if I'm a little off and on for the next bit...I'm just figuring some things out.  

ON another note...

I wanted to share this DIY with you.  Have you seen these mustache pillowcases on urban outfitters?

WELL you can make them for approx. $8 (includes: pillowcases from Wal-Mart, 1/2 yard of fabric and the stitch witchery!)

----------compared to Urban's $34!




I offered to help a friend make some for her niece this year for Christmas. She had the idea since her niece loves mustaches right now. How thoughtful is that!


I just took a big piece of paper and drew the pattern for one side of the mustache.

Then, fold the fabric in half and trace the pattern onto the fabric.  Cut both pieces of fabric at once.

Next, cut two pieces of stitch witchery ( used to adhere fabric to fabric-like glue when heated ) the same size as the mustache pattern.

Pin the stitch witchery and fabric down to the pillow case.

Place fabric on top of the mustache so that if any stitch witchery is sticking out it won't get glue on your iron (it's not fun once it does!)


Iron the mustache until the fabric is stuck.


Stitch a small zig-zag stitch around the black edge for reinforcement...and wala...you have some mustache pillows!



Oh...and I'm still going to post our final floor pics!  I just haven't gotten around to taking the final photos.  I'm excited to share though!  It looks great thanks to everyone who helped make it happen!  


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog cuz!! It's so fun to see your crafts and get cool ideas! I enjoy getting to be a little part of your life this way :o) Sure miss you! Your mom said she was thinking about bringing the girls down here for spring break this year...wonder if you'd be able to make the trip too!? :o) ~April

    ReplyDelete